If I wasn’t in PR, I’d definitely want to be a photo editor, and possibly one of the highlights of this job is that some days I get to pretend I am. There is something I love about searching through hundreds of images to find the one that captures the story you want to tell to the general public. In a conversation with one of my favorite photographers, I recommended he pick out his 10 favorite images from 2011, and then thought I wanted to do it as well. So 13 days into 2012, here’s a recap of my favorite images and moments of 2011.
10. 2011 was the year of electronic dance music in my career, and since I love a good performance shot, you’ll see several headlining DJs and events throughout my top 10. My first selection goes to Brenton Ho for capturing this image of Afrojack at XS. The clarity in this photo completely draws me in.
9. Next on my list is this adorable shot from Communities in Schools of Nevada’s annual Santa Tea event. This little kiddo seriously melts my heart and displays the magical side of Christmas that anyone can fall in love with.
8. The next image, I will say was chosen mostly because of the subjects. AFAN’s Black & White emcee Chris Saldana is always one of my favorites, and how can you not love Absinthe’s own Miss Melody Sweets’ ensemble in this shot? I’ll take two please!
7. The first on my list from the 15th Annual Electric Daisy Carnival. Photographer Danny Mahoney captured this magical moment during Skrillex’s set where the artist asked everyone to join in silence, raise their cell phones and remember actor Ryan Dunn who had just recently passed away. There aren’t many quiet moments at music festivals, and yet this shot speaks volumes.
6. AFAN’s Annual AIDS Walk always has special entertainment for the attendees, and photographer Erik Kabik captured this shot of the Jabbawockeez performing on stage. The dancers, the blank expression through the mask, the perfect blue sky contrasted against the bright neon balloons…. I love it all.
5. Ever wonder what a sea of humanity looks like? EDC Las Vegas, as captured by photographer Erik Kabik from a helicopter above. An addendum, picture 5a is a special edit he made for me!
4. David Guetta, will.i.am, Usher following the iHeart Radio Festival at XS. One look at Usher’s face and you can’t tell me this is a party you don’t want to be at. Photo by Danny Mahoney.
3. While the Justin Timberlake Shriners Hospitals for Children Open is a great annual PGA event, the real story is behind the kids that benefit. This shot of our patient ambassadors, Alyssa and Kate, really captures the essence of the fun these kids get to have, the normal lives they get to lead, all because of the generous work of Shriners Hospitals who treat children, regardless of their families’ ability to pay.
2. A perfect example of being in the right place at the right time. Danny Mahoney captured one of Steve Aoki’s notorious stage dives at XS.
1. Photo credit here goes to Rukes – one of the most talented DJ photographers in the world. I loved this image so much, I had it blown up and placed as the main focus in my office. It captures the energy of the audience, the enthusiasm of the artist, and the beauty of the venue all in one amazing moment.